If you are using PSEG LI electricity in your home or office then you must read this guide. If there is any storm coming in your area then you need to do some preparation to be safe. In this guide, I am going to share some tips which you can use to ensure your safety during a storm.
In this article, you will get to know actions to take before a storm, during a storm, and after a storm. You need to read this guide carefully if you want to be safe in such a situation.
Prepare for a Storm:
Disasters like a storm can strike quickly and without warning. You need to take a proactive approach to stay safe before the storm hits. Just stay connected and be prepared. When there is any storm is coming then you need to be prepared in case the power goes out. You need to create an emergency kit. Put below-mentioned items in that emergency list.
- A power battery radio, alarm clock, flashlights, etc.
- Bottled water and non-perishable food should be in stock.
- Full charge your phones and other electronic devices which need electricity.
- Put a hand-operated can opener in the emergency kit.
- Extension cords if there is partial power outage happen.
- Build a first aid kit.
- If it’s winter then keep a pile of blankets handy.
Be prepared for a Power outage.
- Full charge your phones.
- Make sure you have a corded phone if you have a landline in your home.
- Learn how to open your garage door without electricity.
- Learn how to reset your home’s security system when power returns.
Be prepared for wind or flooding.
- Make sure to secure outside objects like garbage cans and patio furniture.
- Put sandbags around areas of your property that are prone to flooding.
Preparation During a Storm:
If the storm has arrived in your area then you need to perform some actions to stay safe. I am sharing tips to protect you and your family.
- Stay at least 300 feet away from all downed power lines considering them live.
- Call to PSEG Long Island at 1-800-490-0075 to report downed wires.
- Just don’t cut or remove trees which are becoming an obstacle in power lines. Call a professional tree removal crew to take care of that.
- If the power outage is there in your place then turn off electric equipment to protect them from power surges caused by restoration.
- Just keep one light switch on so that you will get aware when power is restored.
- Keep your refrigerator and freezer doors closed.
- If it’s cold then don’t use a gas stove to heat your home because it can generate dangerous levels of carbon monoxide and pose a fire hazard if left untended.
- If you have a generator in your house then use it for emergency standby power only and for a short time period.
So, this was our tips and tricks to be safe during a storm and power outage. By following these tips you can ensure you and your family is safe.